"Inception" Reel Review


In his follow up to "The Dark Knight," Christopher Nolan presents a complicated film about the world of dreams! Let me give you two key terms that should give you a better understanding of things… Term #1 - Extraction (which is the action of taking out something)! Term #2 - Inception (which is the starting point of an institution or activity)! Leonardo DiCaprio stars in the lead role as man named Dom Cobb. Cobb specializes in the dangerous skill of extraction, in which he steals valuable information or ideas from deep down in a person's dream! So what does that mean? Well, I just mentioned that the term "extraction" is the action of taking out something! And in this case Leo's character is able to extract information from a person when they're most vulnerable… which is when they're dreaming! Okay, if you didn't understand that, maybe you'll understand the skill of inception! Now remember I said that inception was the starting point of an institution or activity, and in the movie, inception refers to planting an idea into someone's head, and making them think that they came up with the idea themselves. Oh, and of course this process is done to a person while they're dreaming. Whether or not inception can be done, Cobb has give his best shot, for if he succeeds his employer has promised him a way home. You see, not only does Cobb's job keep away from home, but he's been accused of killing his late wife, so I'm guessing he can't go back to America until his name is cleared, but you see he really needs to get home because he has two little kids, and they're waiting on him to return. Hopefully now you understand why it's so important for him to succeed in performing inception, but of course he can't do this alone, so he put's together a team that consists of Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Ellen Page. Gordon-Levitt's character, who's name is Arthur, is the Point Man, and he has to… well I'm not really sure what he had to do, but the Forger, who is played by Tom Hardy, had to somehow or another forge a person's identity in a dream to I guess get more information, but I really don't know! Ellen Page, who you might know from "Juno," played the architect, and her job was to construct the world of the dream… if that makes any sense! Anyway, I'm making it seem REALLY complicated, and trust me, it is complicated, but I think that those who are able to understand the film will really like it! I think I understood, but at the same time I was second guessing myself throughout the majority of the movie, and even more so after the movie, I think I was able to follow along though! So, I liked this, but if I hadn't been able to understand it I don't think I would have! Pretty much all of the performances are strong, especially Leo's and Joseph's, and I really feel like both are able to pick good roles and even good movies for that matter! Joseph starred in "G. I. Joe" last year, and in interview that I saw, he said something on the lines of how it was more of a movie to just go in and watch and enjoy ride, but wasn't supposed to be the next Oscar contender, and it think it's good when actors can admit that a movie they're starring in may not be the greatest movie. Which brings me Leo… I saw an interview in which he was talking about this movie, and he said some close to, it's not best movie ever made, but it's one of the most unique, which totally true! As for the rest of the actors, like I said, most all of the performances were strong, and I really thought Ellen Page did a great job, so she's on her way, if not already, um to being top rate actress! As for whether or not you should see it or skip... SEE IT... and if you don't understand it... SEE IT again and again until you do!


No comments:

Post a Comment