"The Karate Kid" Review



In 1984 the original “Karate Kid” was released, but today I'm reviewing the new re-make starring Jayden Smith and Jackie Chan! Let me first start off by saying that this a true re-make of the original “Karate Kid!” Jayden Smith stars as 12-year old Dre Parker, who’s been living in Detroit, Michigan for his whole life! But when his mother gets job in China, he says goodbye to Detroit… and America for that matter! Once in China, Dre finds himself surrounded by bullies who are trained in Kung-Fu! Oh, but eventually Mr. Miyagi, I mean Mr. Han comes to the rescue! Okay, I know I said it’s a true re-make, and it is, but of course there are some differences! So what are the pros and cons of these differences? Well I did like the fact that we actually had a karate “kid,” but 12 year olds are just too young to be fighting over a girl! Oh, and I was really looking forward to seeing Jackie Chan play Mr. Miyagi, but instead I got him play Mr. Han! Personally, I was disappointed in the name change, but I’ve talked to a few other people who said that they were fine with the idea, because who could replace Pat Morita?
I was impressed with the new training techniques though! I think that some people will miss the wax off wax on thing from the original, but the new techniques not only gave us something new and fresh, but they also gave us something unexpected! So, was the movie predictable? I don’t think so! It’s a lot like the original, but I’m glad they moved the story to China because it gave it a whole new setting and environment! As for the actors, Jayden Smith had a big role to fulfill, and you know what, I think we have ourselves a good little up and coming actor here! Jackie Chan also had a big role to fulfill, and he certainly fulfilled it! I loved Taraji P. Henson in “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” and you know this movie just made me love her even more! You just really can't go wrong with this film... besides the fact that it's a little long and violent for a kid's movie, but I still say SEE IT!

1 comment: