Rental of the Week: Black History Month



In honor of Black History Month, each weekend we'll present a special "Rental of the Week" that honors African American triumphs! This week we're recommending the movie "No More Baths"! I saw this back when I was in fourth grade when a copy of the film was sent to all the elementary schools in the county. I've tried my best to get my hands on a copy these past few weeks, but so far, no luck! Fortunately, the movie made a lasting impression and I remember it very well! It follows the story of a few kids who spend their free with the elderly man of the neighborhood, Jake, who is played by Jim Mapp. Most parents are fine with the kids hanging out on Jake's land and helping him with his garden. Others, however, are a little concerned, and unfortunately, it's because Jake is black! If I remember correctly, the parents who are uncomfortable with their kids being around Jake strike up a deal with a land developer who threatens to take Jake's land away from him. What the racist parents didn't see coming though, was a protest! Not just any protest though! When Jake is arrested and taken from his home, the neighborhood kids decide to protest the situation by no longer taking baths... hence the title, "No More Baths"! It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but I would love to see it again someday! So even though it may hard to find a copy the movie, do your best because it's definitely not one to miss out on!

No comments:

Post a Comment